If you have produced a film, television series, documentary, short, educational video or animation that has a science theme, then we would love to hear from you.
- Documentary Feature
- Documentary Short Form
- Narrative Film
How to Submit:
Submissions are open via the SCINEMA International Science Film Festival website, withoutabox or filmfreeway. Submissions close Friday 6 March 2017.
To be eligible for the 2017 SCINEMA International Science Film Festival all entries must have been produced after 1 September 2015.
- All media must be clearly marked with the title of the entry, the entrant’s name, contact email, phone and address. It is the responsibility of the entrant to inform RiAus of any changes to address or contact details post submission.
- All films with dialogue must be in English or English narrated or subtitled.
- All entries must be fully completed works.
- Confirmation of receipt of entry will be emailed.
- RiAus accepts no responsibility for entries lost, delayed or not received for any reason.
Selection & Judging
- Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria:
– creativity and originality
– scientific merit
- A film review panel will be selected by The Royal Institution of Australia, and this panel shall decide which entries make it to the final judging round.
- Films selected for the final judging round will screen as part of the 2017 Festival at locations across Australia during June 2017 where the People’s Choice award shall be determined by audience vote and winners in all other categories shall be determined by a jury vote.
- A selection of entered films will also be curated into a community program to screen by free VOD under the SCINEMA banner at multiple venues across Australia during National Science Week.
By submitting your film for the Festival you are agreeing it can be screened at all of the above.
- The jury’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Only one prize or trophy will be produced per category – if a winning production(s) is a group entry, the group will have to share or split their prize.
- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best Documentary
- Best Short Film
- Best Animation/Experimental Film
- Award for Technical Merit
- Award for Scientific Merit
- Special Jury Award
Copyright & Permissions
- Copyright resides entirely with the artist(s). By submitting your entry to the Festival you confirm that you have obtained all releases necessary for the public exhibition of your work including internet.
- In the case of student works, you must ensure you have obtained permission from students and/or their parents to use their image in your films. By submitting your entry to the SCINEMA International Science Film Festival you confirm you have received all required permissions.
- The Royal Institution of Australia will not be held responsible for any breach of copyright or permissions arising from any entries submitted.
- Entrants shall allow clips or images from their works to be reproduced by radio, newspaper, television and the internet for promotional purposes only.
Withdrawal from Festival
Entrants wishing to withdraw from SCINEMA must inform The Royal Institution of Australia in writing by 1 April 2017 by contacting Lisa Bailey on email@example.com
By submitting an entry in the Festival, you declare your understanding, compliance and acceptance of all the terms included in this application.